Tuesday, January 31, 2012

1.5 A Hero Among Us

"Hello.....Mr. Russell this is Shayne Jackson......Yes I am calling to ask about your accident.......Yes I have read the initial report but the Mayor has a few ......Yes, that's right, it was Ms. Mathews that found you? Well, we know you have a history together, namely a child......I see, that does make this a very sensitive issue......Yes I agree, I will tell the Mayor......No, this is between the three of us....Yes you have my full support and protection.....Hm?....Yes this is a secure line, no one else will know what you've told me. The Official report is you fell from your roof and Ms. Mathews found you. That's right she saved your life. Her quick thinking and field triage saved your life. Good, you get rested up and get back to work as soon as you can......Have a good day."

"Madam Mayor, Shayne here.....Yes Ma'am I just spoke with Mr. Russell.....Yes, she is a bonafide hero. Mr. Russell can't thank her enough for coming to his aide and he wishes there was some way he could repay her for her kindness."

There ya go Jenna, your place among us is secure. It's the least I can do. Maybe someday I can tell you why, but until then your family has a silent protector....he chuckles.....not that you need it dear sister, you're doing a smash up job of it on your own.

"Hello Madam Mayor, you wanted to see me?"
"Jenna Mathews, so nice to meet you in person"
"You too, Ma'am."
"I have heard so much about you. In the short time you've been in our fair town you have made quiet an impression on us. I called you here because I want to thank you for all you have done for our town"
"Uh, well, thank you but I, uh, really it's nothing to...."
"No, Jenna, it's far more than nothing. Not only do you do everything you can while on call, you have also gone above and beyond to serve and protect off the job as well."
"But I haven't....."
"Please, let me finish.....You have upgraded all the gadgets at the station. Things have never run smoother. You answer calls in record time, the WooWoo 4000 has never run better, or been kept so clean.  I get calls every day from grateful towns people that sing your praises. Why in just the last 2 weeks on your off time you apprehended one of The Alto's top goons and saved the life of a townie. Mr. Russell spoke with my assistant this morning and he can't thank you enough for your timely rescue the other day."

Jenna can't believe what she's hearing but she schools her expression into one of gratitude and concern. "I'd do it again in a heartbeat" she says somberly, inside she is cracking up.
"Wonderful, we need more fine people such as yourself! Please accept this Accommodation Medal on behalf of the grateful town of Castle Canyon."

"Thank you, Mayor" Jenna breaks into a grin. To herself she thinks, "Too many more like me around here and all of us will have to find a new town to live in"


Jenna can feel age creeping up on her and she starts kicking up the exercise. With all the crazy emergencies she's had to deal with she wants to be prepared for everything. She can't afford to lose her edge now.


Breanna has been spending her free time hunting up the right things to take to the science center. "Mom, I need a gnome, but not just any gnome it has to be enchanted" Breanna tells her one night before bed.

"I'll see what I can do, it's been since just after your first birthday that we had some running around but I bet I can find you one."

"You're the best mom!" Breanna says and gives Jenna a hug. She never worries about any request to her mother. Nothing fazes her, and she never makes Breanna feel she's a bit odd for asking.


Come here you little bugger, my daughter needs to take you to the science center to make her imaginary friend real!


 Jackpot! This will be perfect for Breanna!



Just outside the town there was a small brush fire. Jenna wastes no time and quickly puts it out. All in the line of duty, she just wishes one of her emergencies would involve saving someone's life! How are you supposed to save 25 people if no one is around a fire or disaster?



Finally she gets credit for saving a life on the job. Francisco's house was hit by arsons. The fire inside was pretty intense. Lucky for Francisco Jenna doesn't hold a grudge and he was freed before the fire got to the second floor.



"Jenna, there is a call over on Military Square, let me find it on the map."



"Okay, found it it's across the river That way!"



"No, it's East, over by the Stadium, this way!"



"How in the world did you get your head stuck in there?"



"I was sure this was where the door was and there were carrots in there!"

4 comments:

  1. Very mysterious opening. Funny ending. Keep writing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So i read you story so far. I laughed several times and Jenna is quite the gal isn't she? I wouldn't want to make her mad. Look forward to your next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. I hope I can keep up the flow of the story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am intrigued by the beginning of this chapter...

    ReplyDelete